Sunday, May 29, 2011

Capturing Motion

I've wanted to try some of these techniques out for a while and I finally got around to it! Overall this weekend has been a good one for photography - I got to take these motion-capturing photos, plus have had two great portrait sessions.

Anyway, I guess that the motion capture worked for me - I still get a bit dizzy looking at the photos ...

Panning

This is where you set a slower shutter speed and then try to move your camera in synch with your subject and take the photo at the same time. The goal is to have a sharp-ish subject with everything else blurring with the motion.

motion 08

EXIF Data:
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ): F14.0
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 17.0mm

Out of about 20 or 30 pictures I took, only a couple came out like this, with the subject in focus. Here's another example of panning:

motion 05

EXIF Data:
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ): F14.0
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 17.0mm

Synching with the Subject

The other option is that you move with the subject at the same time/rate by being on whatever is moving. While I wanted to try this, I was hesitant because I tend to get nauseous just thinking about spinning in circles, but I liked the results! No growth without sacrifice! And I managed NOT to get sick, which is an added bonus.

Here we're on a merry-go-round kind of thing; I had Christy push us for a second. I got a few shots and then had to rest for a bit while my head stopped spinning ...

motion 09

EXIF Data:
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ): F14.0
ISO Speed    100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 17.0mm

In this next shot, we were on the basket swing the girls are on above. Clara was the willing victim this time, pushing us.

motion 11

EXIF Data:
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ): F14.0
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 17.0mm

Stopping Motion

The next option is to use a higher shutter speed to stop motion. In the following examples I also used the high-speed rapid-fire feature of my camera. All you have to do is hold the shutter button down and it continues taking photos at a high rate. The only issue with the below photos is focal point - Clara is jumping off of the swing, traveling forward as she comes off and to her landing. However, the camera is firing rapidly enough that the focal point does not change, so by the time she gets to her landing, she's a bit out of focus.

motion 12

motion 13

motion 14

motion 15

motion 16

motion 17

motion 18

EXIF Data:
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/500
Av( Aperture Value ): F6.3
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 26.0mm

Anyway, a fun time with the kids and learning something new at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment