Saturday, June 11, 2011

Black and White - Textures and Pattern

I decided I wanted to try and look for photos with pattern and texture. In order to help myself out with this, I decided to shoot black and white so I would focus more on my themes, not worrying about the color. Both of the below shots were done in Aperture Priority mode, all natural light, and with an exposure compensation of -1 since I wanted to focus on the aperture and, since I was shooting black and white, to up the contrast a bit with darker shadows.

This first one, of a short wall in our front garden, you get both lines and texture. The light kind of rakes across the front of the rocks, accentuating the texture. The shallower depth of field (F6.3) works for this shot because the subject does not have much depth to it.

BlackandWhite 01

EXIF Data:
Shooting Mode: Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/640
Av( Aperture Value ): F6.3
Exposure Compensation: -1
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 50.0mm

This next shot has a couple of different patterns from the two kinds of wire fencing there. I wanted to anchor the shot with the post on the left, which gives the eye a starting place, "reading" the picture left to right. I also wanted to have most of the fence fairly in focus, with it just beginning to unsharpen at the far right of the picture, so chose the larger F-Stop of F22.

BlackandWhite 04

EXIF Data:
Shooting Mode: Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/50
Av( Aperture Value ): F22.0
Exposure Compensation: -1
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm
Focal Length: 50.0mm

No comments:

Post a Comment