Saturday, January 5, 2013

Photo of the Week - Week 2

So far I'm 2 for 2 in posting! It also helps that I got some new photography gear this week, so I have been playing around with it.

One of my Christmas presents was a Fotodiox 70 inch octagon reflector. As I've been doing some studio portraits, I've often wanted a larger softbox. Up until now I've only had a 60cm x 60cm softbox. This is a massive step up.

Big light

First of all, it's like a small tent, though of more robust material. I actually need to do something to sandbag it so it doesn't tip over. I've got a small bag hanging off the back that's filled with a bunch of batteries and my other speedlights. As it is, if a butterfly landed on the front of the octa, it would probably tip over.

I love the beautiful, wrapping light this generates. I'm using a LumoPro speedlight at full power and the front of the octa is about 30 inches from the subject in the below photo.

Big light

EXIF Info

Shutter Speed: 1/125s
ISO:100
Aperture: F/7.1
Focal Length: 26mm
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm

I'm actually crouched on the floor between the octa and the subject here, which you can't tell unless you zoom way in and look at the highlights in the iris, as below.

Big light iris

In short - I love this modifier and can't wait to use it some more! I'm just imagining what I could do with two more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment