Friday, June 1, 2012

Photo of the Week - Week 19

As I've dove into the world of Photoshop and other Adobe products, I've been having a great time!

About a year ago I took a series of photos to put together into a panorama ... working with this group of shots was the beginning of my turn away from open-source photo editing software. I recently used Photoshop CS6 to stitch the photos together and do some editing in there. Here is the final image (you can click through to Flickr to see the full size image):

ECOV Panorama 01

This group of images had a few issues, however. First was the dynamic range of the images - I wanted to keep the blue of the sky, we had some bright clouds, and then some darker portions of the image. The goal was to retain as much data as possible to increase the dynamic range of the final image - something that would not have been as good with the open-source software I was using at the time. I would have had to convert the pieces to 8-bit JPEG images, thus losing some data and flexibility in tweaking the dynamic range of the final image. Second, there was a power line going right through the middle of the image - not a very attractive feature. I could have used the image editing software I was using at the time, though the process would have been painfully slow.

Enter Photoshop CS6. I was able to import all of the RAW data, put the pieces together, and work to tweak the dynamic range using all of the data I had captured. Problem 1 solved. The content-aware tools in PS CS6 are amazing. I painted over the power lines and power poles and they are gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment