Thursday, January 19, 2012

Photo of the Week - Week 3

I finally got the rest of my Christmas presents and got a chance to play around with one of them - a 24" square softbox for my flashes. I've been using shoot-through umbrellas and my homemade beauty dish, but have wanted a softbox for a while. I'll post some other pictures another time, but wanted to get one posted.

16JAN12 06 BW
Shutter Speed: 1/200s
Aperture: F4.0
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50mm
Lens: Tamron 17-55mm
Flash: 1/4 power, through softbox

True to its name, a softbox gives nice, soft light that just wraps around your subject. In the above shot it's about two feet from her, above and slightly to the left, as you can tell by the highlight in her eye.

I had been shooting some pictures of the cats - surprisingly enough, they hung out and let me snap a few photos of them - when Natalie came by. She insisted that she wanted to take "lots" of pictures, most of which were her jumping through the air. After a while, she laid down and relaxed on the couch, which is when I got this picture. Just a bit of post-production to make it black and white (red filter) and to add a slight vignette.

No comments:

Post a Comment